Sunday, December 4, 2011

another real winter

The lake is beginning to freeze. Last Thursday the edges started getting icy; I saw it when I drove to work in the morning. By Saturday, the little inlets and streams were frozen. Today, Sunday, I see large sections of the lake from my apartment window which have no waves. It is incredible. I remember my first real winter, in Philadelphia, I was introduced to the concept of full time snow plows, and frozen streams. Seriously blew my mind. But a lake. A giant lake FROZEN.

There are some budding roses outside my window, frozen solid. If you don't touch them you could imagine it is just now early summer. Moving to a new house here, when you are hardly ever home from work to do a proper look-around, a great way to quickly find the sunniest spots in your yard is to try to plant daffodil bulbs. The places that don't get enough sun will be frozen. :0)

I held a new volunteer orientation last week. I'm really excited, it's a great group, albeit small, of very interesting and helpful people. Community relationships with our organization are being repaired and improved, though slowly.

No comments: